As the name implies, a beach cart is used to carry beach gear and paraphernalia that we usually take with us to the beach such as tents, coolers, umbrellas, and snacks. It has wheels that move through the sand which make it easier to move and haul the items all at once, so you do not have to carry them on several trips.
A beach cart can also make maneuvering through crowded beaches easier so you can get the best spots on the beach to enjoy the day with your loved ones. You can also use the cart to carry tired toddlers when it is time to go home and all their energies have been used up.
While there are many types and different models of beach carts that are available on the market, building your own is also recommended so that you can have one that exactly meets your needs. You can decide on the exact measurements and even fully customize and personalize it according to your preferences. Aside from that, making your own instead of buying one would be more cost effective.
You can always build a beach cart the way you want to but in case you need any assistance, below are step by step instructions on how you can make one using affordable materials. Let’s start building.
Materials and Tools to Build Your Own Beach Cart
In order to build a good beach cart, you need to have the basic tools as well as the following materials. Most likely, you already have them lying around in your house, but if you have none, you can buy them at hardware stores at an affordable price.
- PVC pipes. For your beach cart, you will need to use pipes, caps, elbows, T’s, as well as PVC glue and cleaner.
- Zip ties. Also called cable ties, zip ties are fasteners that are made from either nylon or plastic.
- Pool noodles. These are cylindrical pieces of polyethylene foam and will be used for protection against corners and sharp edges.
- Wheels and axle. For your beach cart, it is advisable to use wheels that are around 10 inches tall and 3 inches wide. Wider wheels roll better on sand that is why it is more preferred and taller wheels allow more clearance to the ground. On the other hand, an axle is a central bar where a wheel turns and rotates that is why it is also essential to make the cart work.
- Metal saw or hacksaw. This tool is a fine-toothed saw that is principally made for cutting metal. In this case, you will use it to cut the PVC pipes.
Steps in Building Your Beach Cart
1. Measure and adjust the backbone of your cart by cutting a piece of PVC pipe, 18 inches long, and fitting the two PVC T’s. Measure the length afterwards, as well as the length of the axle to be used. You should also measure the depth of the two wheels when put together and then subtract the measurement from the length of the axle.
Measure the thickness of the washers and end bolts and subtract them also from the length of the axle. Lastly, subtract the length of the pipe and the T’s and the remaining length should be divided by two. The final length is the measurement of the final piece on the outside.
2. Try fitting the assembly to see if the pieces are correctly placed. The pieces should have a total of 12 to 24 inches tall including the T’s. Also test the fit of the axle and make sure that you clean the axle joints.
3. Drill holes in the caps and make sure that they are the same size as the axles. Do not cement the caps in place so that you can replace them when they become worn out.
4. Using the PVC glue, glue the legs and the top brace together. The T’s on top should be facing each other and the pipe should be parallel to the axle assembly. Clean the short pipe on top of the T’s holding the top brace and then superglue the two T’s on both sides.
5. Push the axles through the end caps and thread the washers to protect the caps and wheels. Hold them in place and check if the wheels turn easily. Attach the forward support arms, with the caps on the end.
6. Make the handles by cementing two pieces of 48” long PVC pipes to the other end of the top T’s. Then, clean and cement two pieces of elbows before gluing an 18” pipe in between.
7. Lastly, wrap the pool noodles over the pipes and attach zip ties to keep the noodles in place. You can also put a net over the cradle arms to protect your belongings and keep them from falling off.
You do not need to be an expert to build your own beach cart. You just need to invest some time and a little effort to make sure that everything is measured well and all the pieces will fit in the end. You can also modify the materials and some of the instructions in case you think something else will work better. Feel free to customize based on your needs and requirements so that you can have the perfect beach cart that you can use for a long time.